Friday, October 17, 2008

Objective 2...

I don't think I really like this objective. I am always questioning myself and why I feel things, to the extent that I think I do it too much and think about it too much.

I really think the key for me is not obstacles, but just letting myself feel the emotions while repeating what I know to be rationally true over and over and making me listen to myself. :-)

Has anyone had any success with this obstacles thing? I think given that I really don't like and/or understand this week's objective, I'm going to start next week's early. Starting today, I'm going to throw myself into whatever I'm doing. No more spacing out, worrying about other things that have happened that day. No more texting while I'm out with other people. No more being a slave to my phone no matter what I'm doing. I will attempt to fully concentrate AND participate in whatever I'm doing.

Why did I choose to do this right before going to a meeting where I don't know anyone??? Eek!!!

I'll write a more formal post on the objective on Sunday, but I just wanted to vent my frustration and plan of action before that.

2 comments:

Maha said...

This is confusing but interesting. So last post The title was identifying obstacles to changing emotions but I think you werent yet ready for that becuase you stated,
"This week, don't focus on changing anything. Just build yourself a good foundation for the change. Allow yourself to question your emotions and where they are coming from. Do they need to be there? Could the situation turn out differently than the emotion dictates?"
Do before identifying the obstacles to changing the emotions you had to first understand them. I think that is very difficult so this week you want to just focus on feeling. Distilling things a bit to where you don't have so many stimuli so that the emotions are in a more pure form and easier to identify their cause. You mentioned that the secondary emotions are reactions. I think this is where the obstacles are. You maybe can identify where in the past you have created these unreasonable reactions and gradually reinforced them with these emotional reactions and behavior. Those are the obstacle which need changing, but first need understanding.

Maha said...

Actually, I guess you are saying the same thing.
"I really think the key for me is not obstacles, but just letting myself feel the emotions while repeating what I know to be rationally true over and over and making me listen to myself. :-)"
That actually is where you have identified those obstacles (irational reactions)and are trying to change them (repeating what I know to be true). So you are actually already pretty good at this. The relearning is the tough part. Reshaping those old reactions into new positive ones.