Monday, October 20, 2008

Objective 3: Participating

This week the objective is participating. Some might say "external meditation"...

But really, it's interacting with the environment around you without too much analytical thinking. It's really hard for me to do...and I think, a whole week! Shoo-ee I'm not sure I can do it but I'll try!

So what are some examples of participating? One obvious example is conversation or in forums when speaking with other people. Listen, form thoughts, and jump in! Learn as you go, don't stop to think about what you're going to say or have said...just let yourself flow. Another example is at work. Don't just follow your routine and be an automaton -- fully throw yourself into it and grow from that experience. Making decisions with a significant other or coworkers? Dive into it and provide your opinion.

Are you afraid of participating? I know I am...but I was reading an interview with Nelson Mandela today, and he said that courage was not the absence of fear, but the overcoming of fear. Yes, yes, we've all heard that before...but I thought back to Nelson Mandela's autobiography, in which he describes himself as shy when he was younger...and I think to myself. Self, I say, what if he is such a brave and corageous hero today because he overcame so much fear when he was younger and afraid of everything? Maybe my fear of things is my greatest virtue, as long as I do right by it...

Maybe the only thing to fear is NOT fear itself, but actually the inability to overcome fear. And participate.

So participate away, cheer yourself on while doing it, and don't let those obstacles get in your way!!!

3 comments:

Maha said...

Participating is hard sometimes. Its tough to let yourself flow when you are concentrating on trying to participate. Hopefully you get good results that motivate you to keep doing it.

mariluna said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
mariluna said...

When I first read this post, I thought: ¨Why would I participate without analyzing first.¨ Isn´t that dangerous? I could say something I might later regret. Then, I thought of how I may not stand up for some of my beliefs just because I know some of my ideas would be unpopular with my friends. I don´t think that is right. I suppose there needs to be a balnce. It is important to rationally think things out, but not to let our rational side take complete control and prevent us from participating out of fear.